Personal ANNecdotes

Personal ANNecdotes - Creative Non-Fiction - My Personal Blackhole.

March 12, 2019 Thoughts on Minimalism and How It Served Me Well The first time I came across the word minimalism was through an afternoon news and affairs show while having lunch with family. The word stuck because it was used to describe the fashion sense that a newbie, young actress had earning her a good thousand plus followers on Instagram. I looked closely at her photos and found mostly a liking for a black, white or combination of both in terms of clothing ensemble. Nothing fancy. Looked neat with less accessories, less patterns and had a classical, elegant feel nonetheless. Her name was Gabbie. And thanks to her, I have finally convinced myself that having mostly black and white items for clothing is not stereotypical enough to be called an emo. I mostly have black shirts and polos because I found them easy to blend with almost anything. The color choice was not limited to clothing. I also preferred black rubber shoes or footwear due to the same reason. No fumbling over the mirror to see if it goes well with my top. Plus, it's easier to wash and takes longer to look dirty than the light colored ones. Time progressed and I later on discovered minimalism wasn't limited to just fashion. It's a lifestyle. The word denoted using less and preferring purchase items which take longer before wear and tear took over. I have also recently watched a Youtube clip about a woman who talked about things she no longer bought after becoming a minimalist. So, you know what actually sparked the creation of this anecdote. Quality over quantity - - it was the main theme of my routinary grocery purchase and preference when it came to most items. I also look closely at labels and descriptions to see which is more economical and gives more value to your money. Branded item purchases are mostly limited to shoes and footwear. People wouldn't really care if you have branded tops or shirts. But, quality footwear matters because it affects your everyday lifestyle and health. I love comfortable footwear. The minimalist mindset helped me save a lot and promoted more value to my money. Besides, I really don't like leaving clutter hanging in my closet and drawers. Too many accessories, clothings and unnecessary items will most likely end up in rubbish after a few months or years. But, to make things better, I give them away to those who need them most. However, there is one particular thing which needs utmost minimalist attitude too - - food and its intake. Well, I would have to admit that I am a self-confessed glutton most days. It's what you call occasional binge eating when you're stressed, happy or just in the mood to do so. The woman's clip made me realize we should be modest about our food choices and consumption. We're not talking about just cutting calories here. Excess food will again, most likely, end up in the trash left to be feasted over by armies of flies, roaches and rats everywhere. So far, I am beginning to work on wise picking when it came to food choice. It should be opting for something which fills you better, leaves you full for longer and provides the nutrition your body deserves. If you'll check my phone, there are lots of video clips tackling vegan diet, healthy meal preparation and balanced meals. I am taking steps little by little. At least, the videos are not left to rot in my internal phone storage. When it comes to choosing people, I have also opted to stay with those who have optimistic attitude, complained less and chose to see the brighter side of life. They say your crowd defines you. And I have to admit, it does ring well most of the time. The kind of people you mingle with will affect your mindset, attitude and future views in the long run. Plus, those who stick with you during the worst times of your life are worth keeping. I'm not saying to overlook worst case scenarios. Evaluating adverse situations allows you to formulate the best contingency measures. But, if your main goal for looking at negative conditions is to complain, blabber and do nothing about the situation, then you are wasting precious energy, my friend. In reality, most of the time, you can't do anything about a negative situation. Things beyond your control should never be bothered with after all. The best thing to do is change your mindset about the things you can't change (That's a little redundant. But, I am putting emphasis there.). If it went over and beyond your patience level, maybe it's time to give things good thought. Should you stay or leave? Should you tolerate or put a blind eye to it? This is when you have to make a big decision. You only have one life to live. If you believe you deserve a better situation, then don't be afraid to walk out the door and close it. Sometimes, we need to make a choice to end things for our betterment. Yes, it's hard. Yes, there will be pain. But, we learn and continue to learn because of these circumstances. So, for the remainder of my life, the theme has always been quality over quantity. Choices are given careful thought. Purchases are considered wisely. Personal interactions are kept to minimum. Less is definitely more. Surprisingly, the restraint allowed me to move further without fear of judgment or tipping over moral boundaries. I also don't care about what people think about me for as long as I am doing the right thing. I am able to save my resources for the rainy days. But, I don't think I can remove wordiness in my anecdotes. That's the least likely thing I will do as a self-confessed minimalist. So, what's keeping you from taking things to minimum? Feel free to share your thoughts in this modest space.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
++ literary emo ++ lover of Apollo ++ MISANTHROPIST ++ certified INTROVERT! ++ writer ++ lover of letters ++ lunatic ++ descendant of Thanatos ++ rival of Nyx ++ archenemy of Hypnos ++ reader between the lines ++ fantasizes of visiting the Louvre Museum someday ++ wishes to defeat Marco Polo's record on circumnavigation ++ daydream traveler ++ gothic muse ++ dark angel ++ mental succubus ++ walang pakialam sa mundo (maliban sa mga taong importante sa akin)++ HATER OF PRETENSION ++ artistic ++ autistic ++ may sariling mundo ++ creator of her universe ++ loyal

On Raphaelle's Wings

RAPHAEL is one of the seven guardian angels who protect mankind and follow God's plans.

While some people believe that he was the angel meant to give luck to cockfighters and betters, Raphael was actually there to guide and heal the brokenhearted.

Thus, Raphael meant "God heals."


This is my corner amongst the sea of many identities and characters.

This blog contains the many thoughts, questions and ponderings that my mind held for so long.

So, sit back, relax and prepare to take a flight.

Let Raphaelle's (my female persona) wings take you on a journey beyond compare, to a faraway land you sought to conquer, touch, see and hold.

Chinggayan Corner!

Lovers of the Misanthropist

Search This Blog

Venerators of the Fallen

Come One, Come All! Hear Ye, Hear Ye!!!

free counters

Mga Ka-Blogger