Personal ANNecdotes

Personal ANNecdotes - Creative Non-Fiction - My Personal Blackhole.

 Have you tried something you're scared to do before?


Two years ago, I decided to get my first ear cartilage piercing. Probably, my rocker side influenced that decision (since most of them have piercings here & there). I was so amazed with the idea that I finally went for it during my visit in SM North EDSA.


Some friends said it would hurt a lot. There were also horror stories of acquaintances who got infected with tetanus after getting pierced in less reputable sites.


But, my decision was made. I will get my ear cartilage piercing no matter what.


After visiting Samsung, I asked people from jewelry shops if they do this. Most said 'No' because it was a dangerous procedure. Until, a saleslady from UniSilver pointed me to Tribal.


At first, I thought it was weird that a known T-shirt brand does ear piercings. But, I listened to her anyway and headed for the next floor.


Apparently, inside Tribal is a hidden room called Skinworkz station. The business offers professional piercing services under its owner Ricky Sta. Ana. I recognized the name as a respected tattoo and piercing artist after reading a feature on Pulp. By that time, I knew I was in the right hands.


The staff who would perform the piercing were amiable and welcoming. However, they weren't the usual people you see in uniform or in scrubsuits. This particular guy, wore a black shirt and basketball shorts. He assisted me in choosing the perfect earring to place on my left ear cartilage. He was also accompanied with 2 men wearing t-shirts and basketball shorts. I guess, the typical corporate dress code does not apply to this place. 


I wanted a ring with a cross but, there was limited selection. In the end, I opted for a blue stainless steel ring with a circular lock. It was thicker than usual, probably, around 3 to 5 cm in thickness. I paid for it as well and the price was almost 7x higher than the one offered in the stall we found in Eastwood. 


He then proceeded in briefing me what would happen next. They use sterilised needles which will be disposed right after each piercing session. They do not re-use them as this may cause the spread of HIV or other blood-related diseases. They follow strict hygienic regulations. Pretty neat.


The guys were a little bit reluctant in doing it to me. They said it should not hurt that much. Was that because I am a girl? 😒😂


The old cliché statement, "It feels like being bitten by an ant," was the last I heard before I felt the needle puncture my left ear cartilage. It was pretty sharp and it really stung.


Unfortunately, the guy said he had to do it again because the earring was thicker and he should have used a bigger needle. Since I wanted to get through with it fast, I told him to go on.


And, the stinging puncturing of a needle happened in less than a few seconds. Finally, he went on with placing my chosen earring to secure the spot.


He cleaned the wound and provided instructions on how to protect the punctured area. I was to use alcohol and ensure that it was disinfected properly to avoid infection. It may take around 2 to 3 months before it heals completely. I also need to use a hair clip and avoid hair from touching it. I found myself listening intently to every word and holding myself accountable to this dauntless decision.


Right after the session, the first thing I've noticed was the blood that stained my shirt. And then, my ear was reddish with small bloodstains on it. Well, it was kind-of a morbid scene in a movie which I normally stopped watching because I hate the sight of crimson gushing down and amputated body parts. This was subtler since it was just blood drops from a slowly healing, wounded ear.


I did not go home immediately and stopped by Seattle's Best Coffee to take my caffeine boost. I have to admit that I felt my ear stinging especially, when I was waiting in line and my hair would brush it a little. It was pretty annoying and painful at the same time. But, I did it anyway. 


The decision to go through something you really wanted even if it means going through a lot of pain was worth it. I can't help but, compare it to the many decisions I have chosen to make even up to now.


If you stayed within your comfort zone, confined and secure in your safe haven, you will never grow. Since it goes against my goal of continuous personal growth, I have always challenged myself to get out of my self-imposed boundaries and travel beyond the unknown.


Life is one small decision at a time. And over time, the small decisions you make, whether it's cleaning your laundry, doing your groceries or opting to walk rather than take a cab or jeep, matters. It is in the small things that your so-called future or destiny is built.


Personally, I do not believe in destiny. I believe that we play in the active shaping of our lives through the small decisions we make every day. If you don't believe me, then I will not force you to.


This space was created as a safe haven for my  thoughts. It was never made to preach or push people to follow a doctrine. 

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
++ literary emo ++ lover of Apollo ++ MISANTHROPIST ++ certified INTROVERT! ++ writer ++ lover of letters ++ lunatic ++ descendant of Thanatos ++ rival of Nyx ++ archenemy of Hypnos ++ reader between the lines ++ fantasizes of visiting the Louvre Museum someday ++ wishes to defeat Marco Polo's record on circumnavigation ++ daydream traveler ++ gothic muse ++ dark angel ++ mental succubus ++ walang pakialam sa mundo (maliban sa mga taong importante sa akin)++ HATER OF PRETENSION ++ artistic ++ autistic ++ may sariling mundo ++ creator of her universe ++ loyal

On Raphaelle's Wings

RAPHAEL is one of the seven guardian angels who protect mankind and follow God's plans.

While some people believe that he was the angel meant to give luck to cockfighters and betters, Raphael was actually there to guide and heal the brokenhearted.

Thus, Raphael meant "God heals."


This is my corner amongst the sea of many identities and characters.

This blog contains the many thoughts, questions and ponderings that my mind held for so long.

So, sit back, relax and prepare to take a flight.

Let Raphaelle's (my female persona) wings take you on a journey beyond compare, to a faraway land you sought to conquer, touch, see and hold.

Chinggayan Corner!

Lovers of the Misanthropist

Search This Blog

Venerators of the Fallen

Come One, Come All! Hear Ye, Hear Ye!!!

free counters

Mga Ka-Blogger